35 facts you did not know about Ukraine
Interesting facts about Ukraine
Despite being one of the largest countries in Europe, many people do not know much about Ukraine. With a varied and vibrant history; from Vikings to the Soviet Union, the country offers a wide range of tourist attractions and interesting places to visit.
For those that don't have time to come to Ukraine and immerse themselves in Ukrainian culture, here are a few interesting facts about the country that you may not already know. A big thank you to our client Russ for sending these amazing facts in and there are some that even we did not know such as
1. It is the largest country in Europe.
2. Considered one of most affordable countries in Europe
3. 33% of the world's best rich dark soil is located in Ukraine
4. #1 for software development source in Europe. 100 European companies develop software in Ukraine.
5. The founders of Whatsapp and Paypal were both born in Kyiv
6. 640,000 college graduates per year.
7. 130,000 engineering graduates created each year
8. 4 out of 10 European corridors go through Ukraine.
9. Five times economic growth over past five years.
10. Over 16,000 I.T. graduates per year.
11. 99.7% literacy rate, one of the highest in the world.
12. Two days drive by truck to most European cities.
13. Three hours flight to most European capitals.
14. Ranks #3 in top certified I.T. professionals globally.
15. Fifteen percent growth in pharma/medicines per year for 5 years running.
16. Only takes 2 days to open a business.
17. Over 22,000 km. of modern railroad track.
18. 5,000 aerospace graduates every year.
19. #2 in grain exports globally.
20. #1 in sunflower seed oil globally.
21. 7 UNESCO heritage sites.
22. #1 route between Europe, Asia and Middle east.
23. #2 in Europe rail freight volume.
24. #6 in world rail freight volume.
25.18 international airports.
26. Fourth most educated nation on earth.
27. 13 seaports, (plus 80 private ports)
28. 11 river ports (plus 40 private ports)
29. 500 km of beaches and resorts (on Black Sea)
30. The only desert in Europe is in Ukraine (Oleshky sands.)
31. Odessa opera house is in top 5 opera houses of the world.
32. 11 million hectares of forest ( some of it is my back yard: My house is surrounded on 3 sides by forest/nature reserve/bird sanctuary. )
33.100,000 meters of ski slopes.
34. 20,000 lakes.
35. 71,000 rivers and streams.
19 August 2019Lviv city with its neoclassical architecture and the beautiful Carpathian nearby is an attractive mix that is drawing more and more tourists. The former head of the Lviv regional administration, Oleh Syniutka, estimated at the growth in tourism was not le
31 July 2019Paris Hilton, heiress of the Hilton hotel chain, is planning on purchasing the Derenivska Kupil health resort complex, which is located in the foothills of the Carpathian mountains, near Uzhgorod city. It is planned to hold a beauty contest in the newly
26 March 2019The EBRD’s EBRD Green Cities has chosen Kiev as the 21st city to commit to a green makeover. Kiev becomes the second Ukrainian city, after Lviv, to join. Through a Memorandum of Understanding signed on Friday by Mayor Vitali Klitschko and Susan Goeransso