How To Buy
This section gives important information. If you're thinking of buying Ukrainian property, please read it carefully.
There are two main ways to buy Ukrainian Property:
1. When clients visit us and purchase.
2. By remote purchase. This is when the client doesn't visit Ukraine, but buys from their home country.
Choose Your Property
Select from our website the Ukrainian properties for sale that you would like to view or buy and send us the reference numbers. Our web site is updated constantly and we generally post all pictures we have on file for a property.
Sometimes we have other offers , which are not on the site. So, please contact us for more information.
Please be aware that for any property you wish to buy and have paid a deposit, lawyers will of course make thorough checks and ensure clean title.
Please also note, that for an offer you make on a property above $30,000, we sometimes require proof of funds so that we can assure the owner that the offer is serious.
Arrange Your Visit
1. We agree a date and time for your visit.
2. Then you need to arrange your own flights and let us know your arrival time at Kiev Airport (or train/coach stations). Pick up from Airport/Station and transport to your hotel can be arranged. We can recommend a hotel or apartment to stay.
How long should you stay? Allow about 2 days to view property and 3 days to do the legal paperwork if you want to buy. Important: the solicitor and Notary office aren't open on a week-end, so make sure you stay for at least one weekday to do any legal paperwork.
If you already have plans to be in Kiev, then all we need to do is fix a time for you to meet one of our representatives. Our staff speak English and Russian.
What to Bring
This is very important if you wish to buy property on your visit, so please read this section carefully.
1. Please bring with you funds to cover a deposit for a property (usually around $1500 for houses that cost under $10,000). This can be paid in cash or can be withdrawn at an ATM if you have a debit or credit card (your bank may charge fees to withdraw).
2. Also add about $300 to cover charge for Preliminary Contract, and document translation costs if required.
3. And, of course, don't forget to bring some money to cover living and travel costs during your visit.
4. After signing the Sale contract it is required to provide the transfer of other 95% of agreed sum to the seller's or agency's account.
Our office can assist you in making arrangements to see property. We ask that clients cover our transport costs. In general, we do not charge more than $100 for travelling 250kms. This is refundable if you buy the property.
We can arrange accommodation for you, in a hotel or apartment.
The Buying Process
Foreign citizens have the right to buy and own property in Ukraine. The law permits owners of property (including foreign investors and joint ventures) not only to own property but also to use such property for commercial purposes, lease property, and keep the revenues, profits, and production derived from its use, after all necessary taxes are paid.
1. If you are buying remotely or a visiting for less than 3 weeks, we recommend you having a Power of Attorney with Apostille drawn up by your local solicitor, authorizing our representatives to complete the legal formalities in your absence. Full details will be given to clients.
2. Once you have chosen which property to buy, you will sign a Preliminary sale/purchase agreement and pay a deposit of 10% or minimum $1500. This agreement sets out the terms of purchase, including date of full contract signing and completion. This agreement is signed in the presence of a Notary officer.
3. You will also be required to sign an Agency agreement with us or, if the property isn't ours, with another agency. Commission will be paid to the agency handling your purchases, the amount varying according to company. For this fee, we assist with the whole buying process and help ensure safe legal process and trouble free purchase.
4. Signing of the main sale Agreement
5. Registration of the purchase with state authorities. To save buyer's time it is usually conducted by us by Power of Attorney.
6. When buying property in Ukraine, there will be purchase taxes to pay which will be modest.
7. As part of the buying process, we apply for a tax code on your behalf, if you don’t already have one.
What if a sale is cancelled before I complete?
It’s rare for a sale not to go through after the deposit is paid. It only happens if there is a significant legal issue or damage sustained to the property. If this happens, you get your deposit back.
But if you just change your mind after paying a deposit, you won’t get it back and may be liable for costs up to that point, so only agreed to buy property if you really want it.
After sale services
We have many years experience in organising building works and rental management. We can offer you a wide range of support services, if required.
If we don’t provide a particular service, we are happy to recommend outside service providers, such as immigration lawyers.
1. How much are property taxes in Ukraine?
Much less than in USA or Western Europe. In Ukraine, property tax is not on the value of the property. It depends on the size of the plot and house how many properties you own. But to give an idea, a small house in the country would be charged around $20. And for an apartment in the city under 65 m², no tax if it's your only property.
2. Can I open a bank account in Ukraine?
As long as you have a tax code, yes you can open a bank account. UAproperty get your tax code as part of your purchase of the property.
3. Can foreigners buy farmland?
Yes, but only through ownership by a company, which UAproperty can assist in setting up.
4. Can I get planning permission to build a house?
If the plot is categorised for building, then you simply send a declaration to build. UAproperty can advise.