35 facts you did not know about Ukraine
Interesting facts about Ukraine
Despite being one of the largest countries in Europe, many people do not know much about Ukraine. With a varied and vibrant history; from Vikings to the Soviet Union, the country offers a wide range of tourist attractions and interesting places to visit.
For those that don't have time to come to Ukraine and immerse themselves in Ukrainian culture, here are a few interesting facts about the country that you may not already know. A big thank you to our client Russ for sending these amazing facts in and there are some that even we did not know such as
1. It is the largest country in Europe.
2. Considered one of most affordable countries in Europe
3. 33% of the world's best rich dark soil is located in Ukraine
4. #1 for software development source in Europe. 100 European companies develop software in Ukraine.
5. The founders of Whatsapp and Paypal were both born in Kyiv
6. 640,000 college graduates per year.
7. 130,000 engineering graduates created each year
8. 4 out of 10 European corridors go through Ukraine.
9. Five times economic growth over past five years.
10. Over 16,000 I.T. graduates per year.
11. 99.7% literacy rate, one of the highest in the world.
12. Two days drive by truck to most European cities.
13. Three hours flight to most European capitals.
14. Ranks #3 in top certified I.T. professionals globally.
15. Fifteen percent growth in pharma/medicines per year for 5 years running.
16. Only takes 2 days to open a business.
17. Over 22,000 km. of modern railroad track.
18. 5,000 aerospace graduates every year.
19. #2 in grain exports globally.
20. #1 in sunflower seed oil globally.
21. 7 UNESCO heritage sites.
22. #1 route between Europe, Asia and Middle east.
23. #2 in Europe rail freight volume.
24. #6 in world rail freight volume.
25.18 international airports.
26. Fourth most educated nation on earth.
27. 13 seaports, (plus 80 private ports)
28. 11 river ports (plus 40 private ports)
29. 500 km of beaches and resorts (on Black Sea)
30. The only desert in Europe is in Ukraine (Oleshky sands.)
31. Odessa opera house is in top 5 opera houses of the world.
32. 11 million hectares of forest ( some of it is my back yard: My house is surrounded on 3 sides by forest/nature reserve/bird sanctuary. )
33.100,000 meters of ski slopes.
34. 20,000 lakes.
35. 71,000 rivers and streams.
29 November 2017A Carpathian resort town is due to undergo extensive investment and development to turn it into a major all year round destination. The investment will be provided by Vitaly Antonov, owner of Galnaftogaz and the OKKO gas station network. The town in que
23 October 2017In a recent study by Bloomberg, Kiev was listed as the second most expensive city in which to rent an apartment. Average rental figures came in twice the average salary. The city has seen an influx of new residents over the past few years but supply of n
30 June 2017A joint venture between European and American finance organisations are set to inject a total of $150 million in funding to small and medium sized businesses in Ukraine and Moldova. The fund, known as Emerging Europe Growth Fund |||, will be managed by H